Peoples, our Mama is a hoarder. Not quite a hoarder. Almost a hoarder. Anyway, she keeps all these things because she thinks she’ll use (“upcycle”) them one day but the thing is that she DOES use them so she’s kind of justified in her hoarding.
Mama used to have bookshelves made of bricks and laminate shelves. She seriously moved with boxes of bricks. When she moved to our house she ditched the bricks but kept the shelves.
And we get the benefit!
Mama took one of the shelves and covered it on both sides with a carpet scrap. (She used spray adhesive and it didn’t work so fantastically, so then she used E6000 which is her go-to glue for things needing more holding power than Elmers.) That would have been good enough for us, but then she bought rope and wrapped it around the board a few times and glued it down.
Yay fun scratcher for us. Mama put catnip on it the other night and now it’s our favorite thing ever. Besides food and boxes and chicken treats and squirrel-watching.
Hi hoomans, Skates here. Did you know that our Mama spends way too much time on Pinterest? She does. And then she makes things!! Mama has made a whole bunch of things for us kittelach!! We don’t use all of them (yet?) but we decided to share them with you.
Today, Mama spent a lot of time and chicken treats trying to teach me to use the cat hammock she made. There are a lot of ideas for different ways to make cat hammocks! Mama was looking at cat hammock ideas at the same time as she was looking at PVC and copper pipe ideas for other things, and she decided to design her own combining lots of ideas instead of copying one idea exactly. Mama took 5/8 inch dowels and 1/2 inch copper pipe fittings (we never took math, but even we know that 5/8 > 1/2. We don’t really understand why 5/8 inch dowels are the right size, but they are) and made a frame. Then she rummaged through her fabric (this was really fun for us) to find something sturdier than quilting cotton and in a piece big enough to fit one of us curled up. She sewed up the ends of the fabric to make a pocket for the dowels to go through, and then used stinky strong glue to hold everything together.
our hammock! and some mess in our living room!
Like I said, we’re not sure we like the hammock yet. Mama picked me up and put me on the hammock and then gave me chicken treats!! Then I got off and got back on, and Mama gave me more chicken treats! Then Mama put away the treats and I got on the hammock again and Mama got up to get the treats and I got off the hammock before she had a chance to give me more treats. Then Mama said something about spoiling my appetite.
I’m going to see what I can do about getting more chicken treats from Mama.
Hello hoomans!! Our names are Skates and Shadow, and we are kittelach! Our Mama is DC.Nerd, and that’s why our blog is on her domain.
We asked Mama for a blog because we want to help her find forever homes for other kittelach who weren’t as lucky as we were to be adopted. We had a foster brudder Prince who just got adopted this week, and we’re getting a foster sister, Mocha, soon.
Also, Shadow’s birthday is next week and we’re having an Instagram pawty! Everyone should join us. Here’s how:
Step 1. You have to RSVP! RSVP by following our Instagram account.
Step 2. Pawticipate! Shadow is turning 4 so there are 4 ways to pawticipate! Each time you pawticipate you get a chance to win a door prize!
- Send donations (from this wish list) to the Tucker County Animal Shelter in Parsons, West Virginia. They are a teeny open access shelter with an even teenier budget. Then DM us a screenshot of your receipt. (But be sure to redact your personal information! We don’t want that!)
- Make a $$ donation (any amount) to your local open access shelter. Then DM us a screenshot of your donation receipt. (But be sure to redact your personal information! We still don’t want that!)
- Share any of our posts about our new foster sister Mocha. Be sure to tag them #ShadowPawty!
- Wild card! What do you want to do to support shelter animals? Maybe you’ll go to a shelter and play with a dog. Maybe you’ll take old sheets and towels to a shelter. Maybe you’ll sew a cage curtain (Mama has a pattern if you want it!). Maybe there’s a fundraiser you can go to. Do something creative, get a selfie of you doing it, and tag it #ShadowPawty.
Step 3. Win door prizes!
- A donation to the shelter or rescue of your choice in honor of your pet.
- A BarkBox or MeowBox for your pet.
- A cat or dog t-shirt for you from AnimalHearted.
- A custom photo mug with your favorite picture of your pet(s).